In Getting Things Done by David Allen, he recommends the occasional review of the high level priorities in your life. Mr. Allen uses altitude as a metaphor, where the Runway is your current list of actions and the 50,000-foot view is your goals for life. I’ve created my own hierarchy that looks like this:
I look at this year as the longest timeframe. I have a general wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey feel for the big picture of my life, which is to “Love God, Love Others”, but I don’t go much beyond that. Instead, I start the the hierarchy at the “3 Words” level. I wrote a post about 2015’s 3 words: Kingdom, Creation, and Confidence.
The next level down the hierarchy contains the “core areas” of life. I unabashedly stole this list from author Jon Acuff. These seven areas are: Career, Family, Financial, Mental, Physical, Social, and Spiritual. There’s a minor eighth category I call maintenance that is a catch-all for the weird things of life like haircuts, dishes and oil changes. I just like this minor category to keep the clutter out of the others.
I break the 3 Words down in each area. I won’t force-fit a Word into a Core Area if it doesn’t make sense, but the Core Areas support the 3 Words. Ready? Here goes:
- Kingdom: I believe God created us to work and hard work brings him glory.
- Creation: One of the best parts about what I do (software development) is that I get to create things as part of my job.
- Confidence: Shipping products builds confidence.
- Kingdom: I want to support my wife by relieving burdens on the home front.
- Confidence: I want to document my family history, photographs and personal history. I want to leave a good legacy.
- Kingdom: A strong financial basis offers the freedom to give.
- Creation: of revenue ;-)
- Confidence: Get our financial house in order including retirement planning, wills and trusts.
- Kingdom: Too often Christians are portrayed as non-thinkers. I don’t want to be lumped in there.
- Creation: Creativity sculpts the mind.
- Confidence: I want to declutter, minimize, and organize so I don’t feel so overwhelmed.
- Kingdom: A healthy lifestyle (can) mean a longer time here as God’s servant.
- Creation: Printing my own tickets to the gun show is awesome.
- Confidence: I like the confidence that comes with being in good physical condition and eating well
- Kingdom: Loving others can only happen if I socialize.
- Creation: I want to create stronger relationships with people I know.
- Confidence: Opening up relationships is hard for me to do, but it always leads to personal growth.
- Kingdom: Pretty much everything in the Spiritual category is Kingdom related. I want to grow in spiritual disciplines.
- Confidence: I want to know the Word of God better for those moment when I can have a kingdom impact.
Next up are the specific goals that map into the core areas and the strategies and tactics I will use to accomplish them.
Here are a few references I used in putting together this post.